- natural deodorants -
Happy last day of November! I am SO thrilled for Christmas this year. Since I've been married, Christmas feels like it did when I was a kid, and I'm all for it. Onto the post..
As I've gotten older, I've become much more conscious of what I put into, and onto, my body. In the past few months, I converted over to natural deodorant after realizing that typical store-bought deodorant has several negative effects on the body. I stumbled upon an article that claims there is a link between deodorant and breast cancer, and with my intense familial history with breast cancer, I immediately stopped using my usual brand.
I did further research on this subject, and although there is a link, it's not crystal clear if deodorant can actually cause breast cancer. The study tested 437 women with breast cancer and their deodorant, and the results suggested that the aluminum-based chemicals in deodorant can cause breast cancer. I always lean towards the safer side, so I decided to switch to natural deodorants, and I'll never go back. Granted, they're a tad bit pricier than what you buy at the grocery store, albeit not by much.
In my trial-and-error testing, I've narrowed it down to three deodorants:
- LUSH's 'The Guv'ner' ($11.95)
- This is LUSH's top deodorant, and its antiperspirant's effects are top of the line. Like the other LUSH deodorant I reviewed below, the action of putting this on is difficult and messy. It comes in a powder made with charcoal (GREAT absorbing properties), lavender, and ghoulish, so imagine that all over your bathroom counters!
- LUSH'S 'Aromaco' ($6.95)
- This was my first trial in natural deodorant, and it will always be one of my favorites. Its price is also closer to what regular deodorant costs. My only issue with this is that it's pretty difficult to put on. It comes in a bar, really similar to a plain bar of soap, that you rub on your underarms. I felt I had to rub it pretty hard in order for it to get on my skin. This one definitely had good antiperspirant action, as the effects lasted ALL day, which I have found is rare with natural deodorants. The main ingredient is witch hazel, which has many skin-benefical properties, but not great antiperspirent properties.
- Native Cos ($12) - Any scent, but my favorites are: Coconut & Vanilla, Almond & Vanilla, and their holiday 'Pumpkin Spice.' I just ordered their Holiday Pack, which features the scents: Native Mistletoe, Candy Cane, and Lemon Cake! So yummy.
- You win some you lose some. This is my favorite natural deodorant, and it's solely because I'm obsessed with the scents. The downside is that its anti-antiperspirant properties are weak, and I'm usually have to reapply it by about 4:00 PM, which really isn't THAT bad.
Do you guys have any other favorite brands of deodorant? Do you think it's worth switching to an all-natural brand?